13.3.09

Utterly frustrated

Yesterday morning, when I tried to boot up the computer, nothing happened. Considering that computers are not my friends, I turned the whole thing over to DH who ran some kind of recovery program - three times. Short version: our computer crashed and we lost everthing that was on it. All my links are gone for the time being (those I can retrieve), all my pictures are gone (except for the ones on the web; I can get those back and store them in my files again) (thankfully, we had moved all the pictures of Henry onto disks a few weeks ago), all my text documents are gone and those I cannot get back. I had been taking notes in yoga classes for 8 years and faithfully typed up my notes every week - all gone. My journal where I wrote down everything that happened with Henry (and me) - all gone. Some of that I can still remember and I will spend some time trying to type it all up, but a lot of that is gone. The reason I wrote it all down was so I wouldn't have to constantly go over it in my head. Unfortunately, that also meant I tried to forget it afterwards and we'll see how good a job I did.
But, basically, everything that was on that computer is now gone and that's not a good thing.

6 comments:

KatieLiz said...

Oh, Doris, I'm so sorry! Is it possible to have a pro look at it and see if they can recover any of your files? It might be worth the expense.

Katie B said...

Doris -- check locals and see if there is someone who can do extensive recovery for you.
Even try Best Buy Geek Squad !

abeadlady said...

Sorry to hear of your computer catastrophe. As has already been said, there should be someone who can retrieve those file for you. Hope you find help soon.

Doris said...

Thank you Katie and Arline.
We've already been in touch with our BIL who's a computer person and who's familiar with things like that. Yes, there are companies you can retrieve files (for a rather steep price) but there's no guarantee that it'll work. We'll see. I've come to realize that I can realy live without a lot of those things, but there are a few I'd really like back. I'll update .........

Beady Zoo said...

That is any computer user's worse nightmare! Hope to hear you can retrieve some of the lost items.
--
Kathy B (who spent several hours earlier this week moving photos and important files to CDs and memory cards)

Anonymous said...

Doris, that stinks!! I'm sorry. Hopefully some of the lost files will be recoverable. I have an external hard drive I back up to; it's cheap, considering .