16.5.12

Scholarships

It's that time of year again, time when high school seniors graduate. As we've done in previous years, we are handing out scholarships at the public high schools in town. The first presentation was last week Wednesday and, as usual, L made me do the speech while he stood in the background. But then he had a work emergency and I had to do Thursday's presentation by myself - for the first time ever. I was more than a little nervous and I have no idea how things went - I always rely on him for for feedback. It's always positive and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he simply doesn't want to stand behind that microphone; he does enough presentation and speeches at work. Anyway, the whole thing was over so fast, it was a total blur and I think it went okay.
The recipients were, as always, chosen by the counselors at the schools, I just provide a list of criteria and, if there are questions, I'm happy to provide additional input. So, when I receive a thank you from a mother for choosing their child, I feel a little like a fake. I didn't do the choosing.
Yesterday, we received 2 thank you cards and today, there was a small package in the mailbox. Another thank you card along with a small gift and another thank you in DVD format. I am so touched that somebody would go to all this trouble.
I have to say, this is the best "job" I've ever had. Hate the reason for doing this, but it sure feels good to, hopefully, help somebody else.

No comments: