22.4.10

Cold turkey ..........

No, unlike John Lennon when he wrote that song, I am not trying to kick a heroin addiction or any other kind of drug, alcohol or nicotine addiction. I'm dealing with something very legal, just fattening - SUGAR.
It's been 6 days since I stopped eating candy (I have a very serious sweet tooth) and I haven't gotten over the cravings yet. But I know myself - moderation doesn't work. It's either all or nothing and so I'm going for nothing (yet again). Having done this before, I know I can and I will do it. The prospect of not having to wear a tent for my mother-of-the-bride dress and not having to hold in my stomach when I hand out scholarships next month is what keeps me going. That and the fact that I already feel better even if I can't see any changes yet.
Used to be that I'd gain a little weight over the holidays, starting at Halloween (because I had to taste test the candy, of course), but I'd be able to get rid of it within weeks once I buckled down to a bit more exercise. Then it took a few months and now it's a real struggle - menopause, ya know?
Since I already made plenty of changes in my diet, this was just the next logical step.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope it's not too hard and you can finish soon!

The feds are going to try to get Americans (including manufacturers) to decrease salt over 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised for something like that with sugar.

abeadlady said...

You go girl! You have more willpower than I do.

Doris said...

Thank you, Marilee & Arline.
I don't like too much interference by the government in so many things, but considering how many things are labeled as "healthy" or "nutritious" these days that clearly aren't, some new rules seem to be in order.
And salt is one of those things - I read labels - and there are plenty of things I won't buy just because of the amount of sodium they contain.

Anonymous said...

I happened to check out of the grocery in the "no candy, no tabloids" aisle on Monday. That's designed to be for kids. Well, there was a lot of Goldfish, which has as many calories as a candy bar. Not so much sugar but lots more salt, and you get a bit more volume, but do you want your kid to get the same calories and more salt with less sugar?

Doris said...

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Cheerios (which everybody feeds to their babies) is not too bad for sugar, but contains more salt than any other cereal I can think of. All those sugary cereals now come with a big "fiber" label on them. It's still lots of sugar, even if they did add fiber somehow. It's not easy to find the right balance there, is it?

Maia said...

Good luck, Doris! I hope you have something wonderful and less sugar-full to replace the candy.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Cheerios...