Sewing and deconstructing

Yesterday was a good sewing day. I had spent Sunday cutting out fabric, Monday morning cutting out and fusing interfacing to the fabric and had a whole uninterrupted, blissful afternoon of sewing. I wasn't too thrilled with the 1/2 inch seam allowance - after all, I can't sew straight to save my life - but I did it. Finished the whole bag by dinnertime.
BUT, and it's a big but: the bag is meant for somebody of amazonian proportions. I made DH drape it over his shoulder and it looked great, just right for somebody 6' tall. I, however, am only 5'3" so the bag looks ridiculous on me. And I'm not thrilled with the straps and the top band (and I knew while sewing that there might be a problem, but I was hopeful, ya know?).
So, I will de-con-struct and re-con-struct. Eventually. I'm letting ideas percolate in my head and will work on it once I figure out exactly what to do next.
I'm a little disappointed because this is the second pattern by this designer I used and while the first bag turned out just fine, it wasn't quite so fine once I started putting my stuff into the bag. Even though, for me, it's more about the process than the finished product most of the time, I'd still like to end up with something usable in the end. The first bag was easily fixable, this one will take more time.


Anonymous said...

I like the pink flowers!

Katie B said...

You were busy!
I like the design!
I can't wait to see how you change it.

Maia said...

I love the look of the bag, and the fabric is terrific. Hopefully the reconstruction will make it usable for you!

Henrysmomsmusings said...

Thank you! It'll be usable somehow. I just have to figure out exactly how to modify the whole thing without having to cut it all apart.

Beady Zoo said...

Beautiful fabric! reminds me of my SIL's climbing roses.

Will be interested to see how you modify the bag.