28.6.09

This and that again






It's hot this weekend, very hot, heat warning until tonight, heat advisory until tomorrow morning. We turned on the A/C just after 8 am. It's going to be a long, hot day.
I need to edit a whole memory stick full of pictures I took at Rodeo Beach a week or so ago, maybe later today. We went again on Friday - I live for trips to the ocean, especially the quiet beaches. But this time, we didn't spend all of our time on the beach, but walked up (and I mean UP - my shins are still hurting badly two days later) a hill to Battery Townsley. Another old military installation on the Marin Headlands. Not much of an installation, but at one time, it housed a huge gun, and it's on top of a rather steep hill. There's a road leading up to it, but it's blocked off at the bottom, so we walked. Wasn't a problem and makes for nice pictures from above.
The first five pictures are all Battery Townsley, the next one is of an installation on another hill (not sure that's accessible), not quite sure what the next one is. The last two show Rodeo Beach, the buildings of Fort Cronkhite (http://www.militarymuseum.org/FtCronkhite.html) and the lagoon.
My friend Marilee reviews movies and books on her blog regularly and it turns out there are quite a few movies we both like. I don't plan on making this a regular feature, but, just this once, I'll talk about a movie I watched last night. A German movie, called "Guys and Balls," about a gay soccer team. Funny, enjoyable, but, very obviously, not for everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures of old military sites! Makes you think how much weapons and strategy have changed in all these years.

Doris said...

It's amazing how much concrete went into those buildings, isn't it?
Reminds me of a trip we took in 1990 to visit my family. We did a daytrip to Magdeburg, just months after the wall had come down and passed through all the border installations. It was absolutely amazing. Must have cost a fortune to build them and another fortune to take everything back down.